Friday, September 5, 2008

Brainard Lake











Saturday I decided we really needed to cook s'mores over a campfire before the summer was over. We drove up one of the many canyons and headed for Brainard Lake Recreation Area. The drive was really magnificent. The sun was low and made all the foilage a gorgeous emerald green. The mountain ranges here are crazy. They just keep going up and up and up. By the time we arrived we had climbed over a mile higher and had almost hit the tree line.

We (and by we, I mean Jeff) couldn't resist a little fishing after we set up our picnic area. Anna caught her first fish Grandpa J style: Jeff got the worm on, cast it strategically, set the hook, and then let Anna pull it in. This how I also caught my first fish at Lily Lake, except I was 23 rather than 2. Anna was super excited but a little freaked out to hold the thing. She told me after it was, "slippery and cold." That sounds about right. I don't love to hold them either.



After fishing we headed back to our picnic area for tin foil dinners and s'mores. Anna actually had a Lunchable, which she thought was about the best thing ever. We had issues with our fire and ended up eating warm tin foils and semi-roasted marshmallows. We're blaming the poor oxygen flow through the fire pit. :)


We also enjoyed playing hide and seek in the trees, jumping off rocks, looking at the stars, and snuggling in camp chairs.

6 comments:

jen&boys said...

so fun! I agree Anna... slippery and cold... not much more you can say about that. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, tin foil dinner rock! Glad to see I made the list! I am so lucky! I love my birthday present. I love the canisters! I will call you. Thanks, Babe

Sarah said...

It looks so beautiful there. I've been craving smores all summer and Tropical Storm Hanna ruined our plans to go camping this weekend. I'm glad you guys are enjoying Colorado.

Kara said...

It sounds like there are a billion things to go see and do in Colorado- how awesome! What a fun Saturday for you guys. Rachel, you're getting close- when's the due date?

Jani Jo said...

Okay, you guys are having WAY too much fun! Seriously, I love looking at all of the activities & events you attend. Not to mention while you're 9-mo-pregnant! (are you wonder woman?) What a darling family!

Anonymous said...

You guys look great! We miss you. Good luck with everything.