Friday, April 25, 2008

The Accident

While we were vacationing in South Carolina with Jeff's parents a couple of weeks ago, Anna had a horrible accident. We were staying in a condo and a TV and TV stand fell on top of Anna.



It. was. terrifying.



We heard a crash in the bedroom, a cry of pain, and ran in as fast as we could. I cannot tell you how truly awful the site was. Oddly enough, I've had a fear of this happening and have always been very careful about securing things in our own house. Before we moved there was a news story about a little girl dying because of a TV falling on her. Anyway, we came in the room to find Anna under a heap of really heavy things. We pulled everything off and I was immediatly frantic. Jeff's mom called an ambulance and Jeff and his dad gave her a blessing. Anna was so upset which was a good sign. She seemed to know what was going on around her.

The EMT's showed up and gave her a quick exam. (Too quick, though. HELLO! A TV fell on her, people!) She wasn't showing any signs of a major head injury, so we ended up driving ourselves to the emergency room instead of taking the ambulance. By the the time we got to the hospital Anna was wanting to walk around and play with toys. It was a comfort, but a HUGE goose egg was growing on her forhead, so I was still pretty nervous.

The doctor checked Anna and he too thought that she showed no signs of major injury so we opted not to do a CT scan. He advised that the risk of radiation of the scan was too great with no major symptoms showing. We headed back to the condo fairly reassured that she would be okay.

Anna was able to take a nap when we got back and get some rest and Jeff and I had a few minutes consider what could have been. Tears flowed. This was the single most terrifying event of my life. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I've never felt that sort of desperation for someone I love. I'm sure some of you mothers out there who have experienced serious injuries or illnesses with your own children know the feeling I'm taking about. It is a complete fear of loosing something so dear. It's a wonder so many children make it to adulthood.

Anna is doing great. Her softball-sized goose egg slowly drained into huge black eyes and scarlet eyelids. She has had no side effects. She's now in the yellowish-greenish black eye stage and, to me, looks amazing.

I feel so humbled and grateful due to this experience. Life and good health are so precious. How grateful I am for the blessing of family.



A couple of days after the accident.
The goose egg the day of the accident. You can see the main point of impact was right at her hairline.

6 comments:

jen&boys said...

I cried reading your post! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. I am so glad that everything is o.k., and that she is doing well!

The Sherman's said...

I've heard this story and I still got goosebumps reading your post! That goose egg is the biggest one I've ever seen! I'm so glad she is okay.

Nicole said...

That makes me want to throw up. I'm so glad she is OK and now she has some awesome pictures to go in the scrap book. Of all the scary thinks that could happen...

Jani Jo said...

Oh my heavens! How terrible. I am so happy she is okay. But am sorry you had to worry about that! She's a trooper!

Cook Family said...

I'm so glad Anna is Okay! My heart was racing when I read about it. I can only imagine what you guys were going through as parents.

Leah said...

um, how come this wasnt' posted on the website!!! that is so crazy and scary...glad that she's doing so much better now.....hey, you'll have to let me know how denver is, my brother may be moving ot inglewood (?) so Kurt and I will definitely be checking out the area....good luck and happy traveling....congrats on another girl!!!!! Anne will love having a sister