Friday, April 4, 2008

I never thought I'd be one of THOSE moms...

So, I realize I'm way out of the blogging habit and I'm way behind. I promise I'll post Easter, Denver, Birthday pictures soon...

ANYWAY, I never thought I'd be the type of mom to be sad to see her kid get older, like cry when they start going to nursery or something, which I didn't, for the record. But, in the last few days I've realized that my baby isn't so much a baby anymore and I'm feeling a little sad about it. It was brought to a head today when a took Anna to get her first haircut. It was much needed, and I have been putting it off forever (subconsious stalling, maybe?) I took her to my friend Megan and she got a cute little grown-up girl cut. (Pictures to come, I promise.) All of sudden Anna morphed from a piggy-tailed baby into a little girl.

Then to top it off, our crib full on broke apart last night, with Anna in it. The full story will have to wait for another post (it's a good one), but it forced us to rush Anna into a "big girl bed" aka her crib mattress on the floor. She is over the moon about her new bed and spent a good portion of the day setting up stuffed animals, reading, and jumping on her new bed. To me it's another sign that Anna is growing up into a little girl and the days of crib confinement are drawing to a close.

I know I should be embracing this new time. No more night feedings, she can feed herself, communication is much easier, she's so fun to play with, seperation anxiety is finally ending, but I can't help but miss the cooing, cuddling, and carting around of only a few pounds of pudgy, patchy-haired Anna.

Anyone else out there had any never-thought-it'd-be-me mom moments?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I've had that same moment lots of times. I'm not usually a crier. I don't get overly emotional about stuff. But seeing my girls grow is so bittersweet. It's amazing to watch them become such beautiful young women, but at the same time...WHERE DID MY BABIES GO? Trust me, more and more moments like this are ahead. Enjoy them. And let yourself mourn the baby that no longer is.

Kirin said...

i'm totally with you, aroo and i were looking at "baby" pictures wondering when she grew up and missing our chubby lil cuddler.

wishesUT said...

Yes! I look at Ethan sometimes and wonder how on earth I have a boy who is almost 5! They get big so fast. I can't wait to hear the crib story. I'm glad Anna likes her big girl bed. What a great birthday present!

jen&boys said...

I think it maybe comes with the territory... I watch Riser and think, "When did you learn to walk, talk, run, etc. etc. etc. Who is this little boy and where is my baby?" But at the same time, how amazing to see him grow and change everyday.

Cook Family said...

It sounds like it is time for number two:)