Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Getting Away

Jeff and I were so lucky to be able to sneak away kid-less for a couple of nights. (Thanks Moms!) We talked about driving up to Sun Valley or down to Southern Utah, but in the end we decided to spend one day in the city and one day in the mountains near by. I'm so glad we did. We get to spend such little time doing the things and going the places that we once did before children that it was great fun going back to some of our favorite places.

The first evening we gussied ourselves up (let's be honest: I gussied, Jeff just dressed) and headed out for some yummy Thai food. Then we hit up the Broadway for a movie, 500 Days of Summer. I recommend it, by the way. Then it was off to Little America.

The next morning we drove to Utah Valley to hike Mount Timpanogos and take the Intro to Caving Tour. It was beautiful. Jeff has been trying to convince me to try caving for years know. I've always been a little freaked out about the thought of squeezing through tiny spaces with no light. This seemed like a good baby step to appease Jeff's insistence. The craziest think we did on this tour was climb through on our hands and knees and crab walking down slick rock. I must say that Jeff was right. The experience wet my palate and now I am ready to take on an actual caving experience. California Caverns maybe?

We enjoyed the company in the cave as well. Our guide was actually a jazz guitarist who tours throughout the rest of the year and then does the park ranger thing in the summer. We also were joined by Kevin and Casey, two skinny teenage cowboys from Herriman. They even wore long sleeve plaid and Wrangler jeans. The entertained us by drinking mineral drips and discussing how many ways one could die while caving.

After that we had dinner in Provo at a Brazilian grill which I can not in good conscious recommend since it made me violently ill later that night.

We headed up Provo canyon to the Sollis cabin but not before stopping at Jeff's beloved river. The Provo River is gorgeous. While Jeff looked for fish, I dozed in the shade of a Russian Olive tree. It was lovely.



I'll spare you the details of later that night but it was a disappointment. (see above.) Mostly, though, it was a much needed, overdue get away.

3 comments:

MOviatt said...

How do you make your pictures so big? Please let me know, I have been wanting to do this on my blog...

Jeff & Liberty said...

While we lived in AZ, Jeff was invited to go caving several times with some friends from school. He never went, because the idea kinda freaked me out and I wasn't crazy about letting him go. A class sounds very do-able though. Looks fun!

Leah said...

what a great get away...minus the getting sick...looks like you guys had a great time and like you said, much needed, as it always is :)