Sunday, August 9, 2009

Campout with Uncle Chris


If anyone needs lessons on how to be the favorite uncle, call Chris. He's got it down. He really out did himself this time with his niece and nephews. Chris planned the ultimate back yard camp out.

First off, he set up his gigantic tent. Anna, Ethan, Tanner, and Riser were ecstatic (and a little giddy) about getting their sleeping bags and pillows set up. There were rousing renditions of the BYU fight song from the boys (Anna has not yet been properly indoctrinated with BYU love from the Hepworth boys so she did not join in), lots of running around on the grass, and just general excitement at the prospect of sleeping outside.

Then Chris, never to go small on anything, brought out an actual fire pit and made a campfire right on the driveway. After all, you have to have s'mores at a camp out. It was perfect. The kids were excited, to say the least.

After s'mores Chris tucked in all the kids and told them stories until they fell asleep. Pretty impressive considering all the kids were under five years old.

My favorite moment of the night, however, was after the kids were bedded down and Chris was telling stories. Anna had left Kit Kat, her most loved stuffed companion, inside. I went out and "knocked" on the tent door. Chris piped up, "Uh, oh. I think that's someone's mom." He opened the door, Anna saw me, jumped out of her sleeping bag and exclaimed, "It's MY mom!" and threw her arms around me. I gave her Kit Kat and she happily went back to her sleeping bag. I know it was a selfish moment, but I loved that Anna seemed to feel like she won the jackpot.

Anna is completely enamored with Uncle Chris. All the cousins are. He's going to make such an excellent dad one day.



A perfect representation of the kids' excitement.

1 comment:

Chris and Susie said...

Thanks for posting these pics. I wish I could have been there. It looks like the kids had a great time.