Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve




This was our first actual Christmas Eve together. (In years past we have had Christmas Eve earlier so we could spent time with our families.) Jeff had to work and it was a nice reason to refine our own Christmas tradtions. Anna and I spent the morning making cookies for Santa. We got a little crazy and attemped Candy Cane Sandwich Cookies. They were a lot of work and took longer than Anna's attention span would have prefered but they were delicious and I'm sure Santa appreciated the extra effort.

When Jeff (finally!) got home mid-afternoon, we headed off to Chili's. I couldn't bring myself to cook since that was never a part of my growing-up Christmas experience. I may have to change that. There was something slightly depressing about eating mid-grade, chain restaurant food. It made us miss our families.

But we quickly recovered from our moment of homesickness driving home and anticipating the party awaiting us. We had a spread of more food, chocolate, candy and nuts. After acting out the natvity and singing some carols, the kids open one present each. Then we set out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for the reindeer and shooed Anna off to bed. It was pretty easy to convince her since she had a bit of a fever and was feeling pretty sluggish anyway.

Jeff and I continued the evening by watching Midnight Mass.



No comments: