Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sausage Fingers, Emotional Outbursts, and Other Pregnancy Treats


The end of this pregnancy is blessedly near, so I thought I'd reflect a little on the good and not so good parts of being with child.



  • I have bratwursts for fingers and little smokies for toes. (That metaphor is for you, Jeff.)

  • The first flutterings turning into substantial kicks is such a delightful process. "I think I felt the baby move" to "that was definitely a kick."

  • Extreme fatigue leading to excessive amounts of children's television programming.

  • The excitement of learning we'd have two girls, the shock of finding this was not true, and the growing thrill of bringing a boy into the world.

  • Wiggly pink lines all over my stomach are growing darker daily. (I'd rather not use the common term.)

  • I have loved hearing Jeff talk about "his boy" and all the things he wants to teach him, man to man.

  • Embarrassing tears, weld up by emotional blockbusters such as Angels in the Outfield and Sister Act II. I'm serious. And pathetic.

  • I'm so happy this pregnancy has gone so much faster than my first. Except maybe the last couple of weeks.

  • I've started to get to big for some of my maternity clothes. Talk about demoralizing. GIVE ME MY BODY BACK!

  • Anna started to pray for baby brother in her prayers. Sure it's tacked onto the end of a string of random things she's "grate for," but still, it makes my mother's heart sing.

  • I can't wear heels to church anymore. Weird that this would be a bummer for me, but definitely feel prettier with a couple of inches added on. Better legs, taller. Vain, I know and I don't care.

  • I ONLY HAVE 17 DAYS LEFT UNTIL MY DUE DATE!*

  • Carrying groceries up a the flight of stairs from the garage is the bane of my week. I sweat and am completely out of breath by the time I'm done. Then I say to myself, "Remember when you used to run 3 miles every morning? You used to be awesome! " Then I eat some chocolate I just bought.

  • I have been eating a lot of chocolate knowing I'll probably have to quit while nursing. I feel good about eating a lot of chocolate.

  • I can't bend over. At all.

  • Despite all the crap that comes with pregnancy, the best part is knowing that I am a part of the creation process. I'm so thankful for the spiritual perspective pregnancy has given me. I really feel a greater understanding of the plan of salvation and the blessing of gaining a physical body. What a privilege it is to be a woman and to be a part of joining a spirit and a body.

*My doctor informed me this week that my due date based on my ultra-sound is actually Oct 1st rather than Oct 10! That's the date she's been going by for the last two months. I'll take those 10 days, thank you very much.

9 comments:

Holly said...

See, your posts are actually funny, even if they talk about the negatives of pregnancy. Mine are just whiney and no one wants to hear it. Thanks for making me laugh. I'm having regular contractions...AGAIN...as we speak. It's about time this baby comes out!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your fingers. I've been looking at flights and so far they are really cheap. I can't wait to see my new "nephew".

Sara said...

I love that post- it will be so fun for you to look back on someday too. Oh and Oct. 1st- congrats! That is so soon!

Natalie said...

Well, don't you just make me so excited for the rest of my pregnancy! haha I'm so excited for you!

Sarah said...

I can't believe you're getting so close. September baby perhaps??

jen&boys said...

Ah, the joys (sarcastic, and for real) I always swell up too. Karl looked at me a few weeks after Kayson came and said, wow you're losing weight in your arms and legs really fast. I said, yep. It's easy when it's just all swelling. Hang in there... It'll be over and your little guy will be here before you know it! We can't wait to meet him!

Kelly said...

Rach, I am getting emotional right now and it's been 2 months since Grace was born. It really is an amazing process to be pregnant and even though it is miserable, we are willing to do it over and over again (in my case 6 times over) just to bring these special little people here and love them. We are so excited for you guys. We wish we could be there to hold him. Good luck, we can't wait to hear!

wishesUT said...

Your post has me laughing so hard. I need to copy this and read it when I need a good laugh the next time I'm pregnant! I hope you have the baby while my mom is there! That would be exciting!

Steph H said...

You're so much fun, I love all your thoughts on life. I laughed at the movies you've cried at. We used to tease my mom for crying during happy movies (like "the parent trap" c'mon, mom). But the older I get the more I'm like her. At least we're all in good company, right?