Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Rainstorms

Yesterday while Anna was napping a summer rainstorm hit. Knowing the brevity of western rainstorms I quickly stopped what I was doing, opened the front door, grabbed a blanket and book and parked myself on the couch.

In my mind there is not much more satisfying to the soul than smell of fresh rain on dry earth and uncharacteristic cool air floating through the house. Even though the thunder and rain only lasted about 30 minutes it made me so happy!

Within an hour there was no trace of stormy weather. The sky was blue, the ground was dry, and the air was hot. But at least for few minutes everything seemed to hold still for the storm.

I need more moments of spontaneous stillness...

1 comment:

The Sherman's said...

We miss you Jeff and Rachel. Someone new has moved into your place. They aren't students, but seem really nice. I've only met the husband and their 2 1/2 yr old little girl. She is darling. But in the two weeks since they've moved in I think I've seen them once. But we've had tons of thunderstorms lately. I know what you mean, I love them too, as long as I'm safe indoors :)