Friday, July 25, 2008

So cute.

Before Anna was born, I for sure wanted a boy. I think since I had older brothers it just seemed natural and the right way to start a family. Luckily Anna came along and our family started with a beautiful little girl. I have LOVED it! I love everything about having a girl. I love the pink, the dress up stuff, the clothes, the innate sense of caring and nurturing that she has. So when we originally thought we'd be having another girl I was thrilled. I had visions of two little princesses running around the house dancing, playing dolls, and all-in-all just being adorable.

It's been a little bit strange to change my thinking and imagine the new dynamic of adding a boy to the family. I am certainly excited, we've always wanted a boy at some point. But, to get to my point, it hasn't been until today that I've really been excited about having a boy, and to be honest, about having another one in general.

Today I decided to organize what boy stuff I've accumulated in the last few weeks as well as pull out any usable baby clothes from Anna's old stash. Anna was playing with her toys, but started to get really interested in what I was doing. She ended up looking through most of the clothes with me and exclaiming, "Oh mom, it's so cuuuute," and "oh, look at this little sweet one." I was just tickled by her interest. We then pulled out some of her old receiving blankets and wrapped up her baby dolls. I showed her how to swaddle them and we talked about how we'll wrap up baby brother when he comes. She spent the next half hour caring for "baby brodder." She put him to bed, read stories, and unwrapped and re wrapped her baby doll in blankets.

How could I not be excited for the future dynamic of our family after that?! Anna will be a great big sister and I'm (finally) looking forward to holding that new little baby boy in my arms.

PS I don't want you to get the idea I haven't wanted to have this baby, but it's been hard for me to focus on anything other than the added stress of having another one. I've in general been struggling with an "how in the heck am I going to handle having TWO children" attitude. (Please see "Confessions of a Slacker Mom" post below.) I'm not exactly super mom (who is really?) so I've been a bit of a scaredy cat in that department. Despite that, I feel blessed to be pregnant.

5 comments:

Cook Family said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!!!!1

Nicole said...

Hah! I remember trying for #2 and then being totally freaked out when she was on the way! I said to my dad, "I love Brooklyn too much, there's not room in my heart for another one." But wise old dad knew better. He said, "Nicole, your heart will grow." I'm so excited for you new little boy. I wish we didn't have to watch each others kids grow up via internet, but I guess it's better than nothing.

jen&boys said...

I felt the same way as Nicole. I knew I wanted another one, but then when he was on his way, I wondered what in the world I had gotten myself into! The good news is, you fall in love with the second one just as fast as you do the first one!

wishesUT said...

It sounds like Anna is going to be a wonderful little helper. And you are going to be a fabulous mom of two. Having more than one child just increases the love, fun, excitement, and the tears, frustration and so on. But it's all so worth it! Especially those moments like you captured in that picture of Anna in the pool. You'll just wish you had more hands sometimes. I now I wish that every day!

Kelly said...

Rach, even though I just had #6 you can't help but love them just as much as the others. You just take it a day at a time, just like you did when you had cute little Anna. It all will be a natural process that is the most wonderful thing in the world (as you know!) I can't wait to see you this week and introduce you to little Gracey! Kelly-