Alright, story time. Last night was Erichment Meeting for our ward. I am the Enrichment Leader of our ward, so I was pretty much in charge of the deal. (Not to say that I did all the work, because I have an amazing committee.) I was really excited about this one because I was able to get free food donated from Bertucci's Italian Restaurant. How? I might need to back this story up a bit.
As we were planning this activity we thought it might be fun to do an Italian Christmas dinner. We were planning on making pasta, salad, and rolls. The whole nine yards. That was the plan until this conversation at our last committee meeting:
One sister: Hey, you know what would be awesome? If we could use our budget to get this meal from an Italian Restaurant.
Another sister: Good idea! Actually, they could probably use it as a tax write-off, they might even donate it to us.
Rachel: It wouldn't hurt to try.
Imagine about ten minutes of women talk: stories about asking for free things, our favorite Italian food, who's been to what restaurants, and finally...
Rachel: So who would like to be in charge of this assignment.
SILENCE
Rachel: Okay, I guess that'd be me.
A couple days later, with tax exempt form in hand, I set off to conquer the restaurantuering world. I started at Maggiano's which is very upscale. Not surprisingly, the manager wasn't available. So, on to the next spot, Bertucci's Italian Restaurant. I went in, asked for the manager, and had a seat. She came out and this is about how it went.
Rachel: (nervously) Hi, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me. I'm in charge of planning a dinner for the women of my church, which is of course a non-profit organization, and I was wondering if you would be willing or able to donate some pasta.
Manager: Sure, let me go get my business card.
Rachel: (thinking to herself) Are you serious? It's that easy?
Yes, it was. I couldn't believe my luck. The manager laid out what they would donate, 3 bulk pasta bowls, a bulk salad, and 5o rolls. Enough to feed 5o people. PERFECT! Thrilled is an understatement. What a weight off my shoulders. Not only would I have pasta to offer, but salad and rolls. My committee wouldn't have to cook a thing!
I touched bases with Bertucci's a couple times before the meeting just to ease my worries. I was sure I was going to end up paying a huge bill based on a misunderstanding.
Needless to say, everything went smoothly until they handed me the food. I don't know what their idea of feeding 50 people is, but it wasn't the same as mine! There was simply not enough food. Panic started to set in as I realized that there was NO WAY that there would be enough food for the sisters.
While hyperventalating on the way to the church I decided we would have to suppliment. I sent a sister to pick up four large pizzas to fill in the gaps. We had an amazingly good turn out (about 55) so it was definitely necessary.
As we served I just kept praying that we'd make it. Here's where the miracle happens: we had enough for exactly how many sisters showed up. I mean exactly. No seconds here. When we finished serving there were four rolls left, and about four servings of pasta, enough for the four of us who had not had a chance to eat yet. It felt like the parable of the fish and bread in the bible! All kidding aside, I was very grateful that somehow, we pulled off the dinner. I am happy to say that the rest of the evening went off without a hitch and I have recieved a lot of good feedback about the evening.
I was definitely humbled. Thank goodness for the committee who stepped it up and pulled the evening together. I could not have done it otherwise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
amazing! Your own Christmas Miracle. Thanks for sharing that Rach.
Oh Rachel!!! I have been meaning to call you and find out how it all went. You are awesome for all you did!!! THanks!!!! And I am so glad that you were smart enough to get some pizzas and that so many people showed up!! Yeah!!! You are a great enrichment leader!!
Way ta go Rach! As someone once said, you might as well ask, cause the worst thing that can happen is they tell you no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good job. Awesome!
Post a Comment