I'm more than a little behind on pretty much everything, but I wanted to share how we've been doing since our big move. And then I'll retroactively blog. (Wait, that's what I've been doing for the last six months...)
We made it to Wichita on Thursday, Nov 18th and drove straight to the new house for our final walk through. Anna and Isaac ran circles in every room and up and down the stairs over and over. It made closing the next morning even more exciting. Everything went smoothly and we officially became home owners around 11:00am Nov 19th.
Jeff thankfully had the whole week of Thanksgiving off which we mostly spent unpacking and spending money. Jeff was offered a pretty generous moving package which allowed us to upgrade on a few things. It was REALLY fun since we just don't ever go out and buy stuff. We got a new dining room table, new chair for the living room, a TV (a total treat since we haven't had one for the last couple of years), and reluctantly, a new bed. (Our bed frame didn't fit upstairs so we had to buy a split frame. Not exactly what we wanted to spend our money on, but whatever.)
Jeff's parents flew out for Thanksgiving weekend and after a nightmare chain of events they finally arrived in Wichita about 6:00pm on Thanksgiving. We missed our big T-Day reservations (there was no way I was cooking a bird this year) and ended up at the only open restaurant in town, The Golden Corral. Don't be jealous.
The rest of the weekend was wonderful. It was great to have Jeff's parents around to help us. Larry and Jeff were able to get a lot of little projects done, Marlene and I were able to shop quite a bit, and Anna and Isaac got lots of attention. Everyone was happy.
Real life began this week and here's how things are shaking out:
Jeff has been "drinking from the fire hose" at work. He's jumped right in and there is a lot to learn and do. He's generally working about 12 hours a day, usually 7-7. The people he is working with are really great and have been super generous.
Anna is having a bit of hard time adjusting. I think all of the stress of moving combined with two very distracted parents has taken its toll. She vacillates between her normal happy, bubbly, sweet self and being moody and emotional. I'm sure this is normal, but I'm anxious to get back to a good day-to-day routine before the her world is turned upside down again when the babies are born.
Isaac, on the other hand, is thriving. He has loved exploring every nook and cranny of the house, he's sleeping like a champ, and out of the blue started talking in small sentences. (Communication!) My new favorite thing he does is state, "I crying." while crying. Because he just wants us to really wants to understand he's sad, I guess. It's adorable.
I'm doing my best to keep my head above water. My days basically consist of going through boxes, resting, playing with kids, resting, cleaning up, resting, trying to bend over, resting, making food, resting, and then dropping dead at the end of the day. I'm 33 weeks and really hoping these babies stay put for another 5 weeks. Otherwise they will be sleeping in cardboard boxes and packing paper. I am loving, loving, loving our new house. It is such a pleasure to live in such a beautiful home.
And if you managed to get to the end of this long, pictureless post I'll reward you with the mental image of me standing in front of a lovely copper brown used mini-van. Because we bought one yesterday. And I won't even be mad at you for laughing because of all the times I swore I'd never own one.
Sunday, December 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
You will LOVE that car! I always love reading your posts Rachel. Good luck continuing to unpack. I hope Anna adjusts quickly. We understand that one (Hayden had a really hard time with our move). I'm sad you didn't end up in Vegas, but hey- maybe we'll join you in Kansas.
Congrats on the new house! We are finally giving in to the minivan too :( Glad to hear you are getting settled in.
Glad to hear that you guys made it and are getting settled! Miss you tons!
I love love love my minivan! One of my most favorite purchases since having kids! I will be hoping for your sake that those babies stay put as long as possible! I'm so glad you are loving your new house. Good luck with the whole unpacking stuff...I can definitely empathize with that one. :)
Glad to hear that you guys are getting settled!! I swore I'd never own a minivan too... We drove ours, and I became a converted woman... I LOVE my van!! Hope you love yours too!!
P.S. hugs to both you and Anna... moves followed by new siblings are hard on little people! I hope that she adjusts quickly!
Wow! You've got a lot going on! Here's to you guys and livin' the dream!
Good luck with all the adjustments, hard work, and sleepless nights.
Welcome to the world of mini vans!! I never wanted one either :) When I can arrange it I want to come down for a day to visit/ help out probably on a weekend... who knows maybe when it is closer to babies coming :) You keep up on the resting you deserve it!
Good luck unpacking and getting settled in! Can't wait to see pics of the cute little twins!
Thanks for the great update (and don't feel guilty for the lack of pictures). I'm glad that you're settling in. Give Anna a big hug from me. I'm another believer in the minivan since I love mine.
I can't imagine trying to un-pack at 33 weeks with twins...I can't even keep up at 29 weeks with one kid in the tum and 1 toddler. You go. Mini-vans rock. Embrace it...I dream of the day of owning one :) I love being in a home too...look forward to pics
Holy cow! I miss checking your blog for a little bit and look at all the changes! CONGRATS to Jeff! What an exciting new job and great step for his career. Pregnant with twins while buying your first house and trying to unpack and get life settled (to a degree) before they come? Been there done that! But done it with two other kids on top of everything and in a whole new city with your husband having a busy new job? I bow humbly in your presence, Rach. You are amazing. Congrats on having a house, how fun. I'm excited to keep reading about this next chapter in your life!
Post a Comment