Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Nutcracker Ballet

I wanted to do something special with Anna since things have been so crazy around here. After giving her a few options, she decided she really wanted to see the Nutcracker Ballet.

The anticipation was almost as fun as the actual night out. This was Anna's first theater experience so we had a couple of conversations about what to expect and proper etiquette. Anna must have asked half a dozen times if I was sure there would not be popcorn at the Ballet.

But my favorite was the time and thought Anna put into her outfit for the occasion. She went back and forth for a week on what dress to wear. Would it be fancy enough? How well would it twirl? One night I found Anna in her room where she had laid out every dress she owns on the floor and contemplating which would be just right.


I let Anna choose any restaurant for our special night. Thanksgiving must have really left an impression and much to my dismay she chose The Golden Corral. After a delicious meal of Mac & Cheese and crackers, we made our way downtown.

When Anna gets excited she talks and talks and I had to remind her many times to try to be very quiet during the performance. But her enthusiasm was so cute. She got restless by the end, but I think she really loved it. We took home a nutcracker ornament to remember the night.

I really enjoyed the one on one time with Anna. I think this may become a Christmas tradition for us!

5 comments:

**the muirs** said...

Oh my goodness! Rachel, I think Anna has the coolest mom in the world! How fun! :)

Kirsta 'n co. said...

Any tradition that means going out with the girls and leaving the boys at home sounds like a WINNER to me! (even if there is no popcorn)

Larry said...

That just sounds sooooooo fun. I can picture Anna studying her dresses for just the PERFECT one, and she found it! She is so funny. I love her to pieces. (Sorry about the Golden Corral experience. I feel somewhat to blame for that one.)

jen&boys said...

Love it. What a perfect night. So much fun.

Steph H said...

How perfect! My grandma took me to the nutcracker when I was a little girl and I think I felt exactly this way. She even bought me a nutcracker ornament that I still hang on my tree. I love that you did this. I want to have special one-on-one dates with my kids as they get older.

P.S. Look at you in your saucy purple tights! No one can argue this mother of four has lost her zing!