Yesterday Jeff went to his first executive meeting at the hospital. This involved all the "C's" (CEO, CFO, COO,
CNO, etc) and the HR director. Todd, the CEO, started conducting and speaking in third person. "Hi everyone, Todd would like to welcome you to the meeting." He continued for a while, all in third person. Each person that spoke also spoke in third person. This went on for about five or six minutes. Jeff, aka the new guy, didn't have much to say. Todd eventually asked Jeff if he had any questions or anything he'd like to share. Jeff
hesitantly said no, but that the third person thing was kind of creeping him out. A couple of people
stifled laughs, and then Todd went into a long
explanation about how they started running meetings like this because if fostered accountability and ownership of problems. Jeff was pretty taken back until Todd got a huge smile on his face. Everyone started laughing.
Gotcha, Jeff. Welcome to North Suburban.
PS About five minutes later a singing telegram dressed in full costume came to sing "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake to the CEO for his birthday, set up by the other executive team members. The song is apparently an inside joke. What a meeting!
5 comments:
That's hilarious. Sounds like a fun place to work. Your road trip back West looks like fun. I hope you guys are getting settled in and making new friends.
That's so funny. I can almost see Jeff sitting there trying to figure out how to handle the whole thing. Funny, funny.
That's so funny. I'm sure I'd start talking in third person just to fit in. What a great sense of humor they have.
Sounds like a fun place to work. Jeff will love it and fit in great! I wish we could layover in denver too, maybe you and Anna should just drive down for pioneer day and squeeze us in!
Great gag.
Gives Larry some ideas for Six States.
I'll bet Jeff was looking around for Karl Malone. "Karl Malone gotta do what Karl Malone gotta do." I hope Jeff is planning a subtle gotcha himself.........when he feels comfortable enough to get away with it.
Post a Comment