Sam has developed a stubborn streak. If things aren't going his way he stands on his tip toes, squeezes his hands into fists and holds his breath. It can be as frustrating as it is cute. He is also expert at arching his back and stiffening when I try to put him in his car seat.
Ben has a wide range of laughs. There is the high pitched desperate one when he's tickled. There is the quick staccato one when he's chased. But everyone's favorite is his geeky chuckle/giggle that's given any time he's particularly delighted with something. And believe me, we'll do just about anything to bring it out.
Isaac's has discovered music. And dancing. Every song he likes is his "paborite." (favorite.) He certainly doesn't have the grace his sister possesses, but he's got a killer fist pump and incorporates lots of marching.
Anna had a parent teacher conference this week. Her teacher gave a glowing report. She told us that Anna was her go-to girl and didn't have a disrespectful bone in her body. Jeff and I are very proud of her. It also confirmed to me that Anna does indeed save all her sass for home. :)
And here is where I am: tired, content, busy, consumed with the mundane, in love with my children, ready to disown my children, got it all together one minute, a disaster the next, grateful to stay home, missing the career life, trying to get to the gym, eating lots of chocolate, etc., etc. Life's one big contradiction and sometimes I can't keep up with my own status. But I keep rolling along, and happily so. Every night when the kids are finally in bed feels like a small victory. The day holds a thousand tiny triumphs and failures, but in the end I really am just grateful.
And tired.
Just realized I'm logged into the wrong account and I don't have access to recent pictures. So here's an oldie but a goodie. This was taken at a rooftop pool in Denver a couple of years ago.

8 comments:
I love the description of you right now - I can SO relate! You have a way with words. I think Anna and Skye are very similar when it comes to their sass. :) I've decided I would much rather deal with her sass at home then ever have her behave like some crazy kids to do other adults. I really wish we lived closer. Really. It would be great to raise our little chickens together (and eat chocolate together while doing it!).
Love that last paragraph! What a beautiful depiction and something I relate to completely.
I relate to everything except trying to get to the gym...I am on sabbatical from gym attendance. I'll re-join you in a few months or so when I don't have an excuse anymore :)
Love ya!
Oh my goodness, that chubby little picture of Isaac at the end just melts my heart. And yes, I think most mothers can relate to this post. I think you're a pretty terrific mother and I don't know how you do it. I can't keep up with my four that are all at different ages!
You have such a way with words-- you articulate things that I don't realize I'm feeling until I read it. Yes, I feel like my life is a contradiction constantly. But at the end of the (exhausting) day, I usually echo your final sentiment: grateful. Life is good. Even with all the chaos and craziness it brings.
... and I, meanwhile, echo your eating chocolate and hitting the gym. Hey, to me that's what the gym is for - the reason I can eat more chocolate!
I loved this post, Rachel. Yeah for being a parent and the many contradictions that come with it. I almost always pat myself on the back for survivng the day, and yet I wouldn't want it any other way:)
i haven't been on blogs for a few months now, and i just totally read from august to today of yours, what a cute family you have, i hope you are well:)
Post a Comment