Quick version:
January 6th:
12:40am Lay down for bed and my water breaks, contractions start at 3min apart
1:15am Drop Anna and Isaac off at a friends house and head for the hospital
1:30am Admitted to the hospital, contractions still 2-3 minutes apart, moderate in strength
2:15am Resident Doctor checks me, a foot is presenting and I'm fully dilated. Whaaat?! Resident calls my doctor and tells her to drive faster.
2:30am Head to the OR, get epidural, freak out a little (not a fan of the c-section method)
2:45am My doctor arrives, starts the surgery.
2:59am Benjamin arrives with a high pitched scream
January 6th:
12:40am Lay down for bed and my water breaks, contractions start at 3min apart
1:15am Drop Anna and Isaac off at a friends house and head for the hospital
1:30am Admitted to the hospital, contractions still 2-3 minutes apart, moderate in strength
2:15am Resident Doctor checks me, a foot is presenting and I'm fully dilated. Whaaat?! Resident calls my doctor and tells her to drive faster.
2:30am Head to the OR, get epidural, freak out a little (not a fan of the c-section method)
2:45am My doctor arrives, starts the surgery.
2:59am Benjamin arrives with a high pitched scream
3:00am Samuel arrives with another no-quite-so-high pitched scream
Extended version:
After staying up way too late watching TV I waddled up to bed. As I tried to lay down my water broke. I woke Jeff up and then started to panic. We hadn't really figured out what to do if I went into labor in the middle of the night. We don't know that many people here and I just hadn't felt comfortable asking anyone to take our kids in the middle of the night. So we called our bishop (poor man) and he found someone to take our kids. We had to wake up Anna and Isaac. Anna was really excited and really nervous about me being the hospital and meeting her new brothers. Isaac was completely oblivious and pretty confused as to why we were getting in the cold car in the middle of the night.
When we arrived at the hospital we got checked in, put in a room, I changed into my hospital robe, all the normal stuff. My contractions had started right after my water broke and were only moderately painful so I was shocked when the resident doctor check me and found that I was fully dilated and baby A's (soon to be Ben) foot was presenting. Everyone stepped into high gear to get the OR ready, get the anesthesiologist present, and the resident literally called my doctor in the room and told her she need to drive fast.
By the time we enter the OR my contractions were pretty much right on top of one another so I was happy to get my spinal block. As soon as it took effect my doctor started the c-section. I did not particularly enjoy this version of birthing. An operating room is not quite the soothing atmosphere you would hope for in child birth.
After about ten minutes of some seriously weird sensations (pulling, tugging, pushing) in my mid-section, baby A was born, baby B quickly followed suit and was born a minute later. It was crazy to hear two cries. I, of course, couldn't see a thing and felt strangely disconnected from the whole process. It wasn't until Jeff brought the babies around the curtain for me to see and hold that the expected motherly reaction occurred. Tears and kisses and loves ensued for some clearly fraternal brothers.
After getting stitched (or stapled if you have a strong stomach) up, it was back to recovery. I was grateful that the babies went with us and I was able to spend the next two hours loving on the boys.
It wasn't until after we were sent to the mother/baby floor that we decided on names. Benjamin Larry Sollis (baby A) and Samuel David Sollis (baby B) were named about 5 hours after birth. Their middle names are their grandfathers' first names.
6 comments:
Whew! Glad they are out! I hope they continue to grow and be healthy and enjoy their new family...on the outside! :)
Congrats again!
Wow! I didn't realize that everything had happened so fast. What a memorable experience. You can really see a difference in the size of the babies in those pictures. What a difference a pound makes!
I wish I lived next door...I would have taken your kidlets in a heartbeat :). Thank goodness for bishops!
I'm glad I have never had a normal birth only because I don't know what I'm missing...but yours sounds all too familiar (except the two cries). I'm so glad they arrived safely!
Sending lots of love your way!
Oh my heavens!!! Congratulations! They are both so beautiful...and big. Rachel you did a great job! I think that Benjamin looks like Anna. I'm so happy for your family and that your precious boys are here safe!
That's a craaaaaazy story, especially the part about you going to bed at nearly 1:00 A.M.!! What?!? I definitely agree with the disconnect when you have a baby via c-section, it's so weird to hear the cries, like "where is that coming from? I didn't feel a baby come out of me!"
They're gorgeous, and although Anna was initial disappointed to get two brothers she certainly looks pretty smug holding them :) Can't wait to hear how life is adjusting to the additions!
I have to have a repeat c-section too and I'm not excited...on my first, they didn't bring her to me for 3 HOURS AFTER she was born...it was awful, I was pretty much a mess until she was in my arms and then instantly better :) I hope they do it different with this one! I'm nervous about going into to labor first too...yikes a little too close for comfort! The twins are beautiful...I'm curious, how early did they end up coming?
Post a Comment