Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Kitty's Birthday








Anna ran down the stairs a few days ago and announced that it was Little Kitty's birthday.


"And can we have a party with hats and cake and presents?!?!?!" she pleaded.


Being the super-fabulous mom that I am I said, "Sure! In a little bit, okay?" Then I proceeded to put her off most of the day. (Don't judge me.) But finally, after much pleading and a few, "you promised!" we made the party happen.


Then I made what could be described as the worst party hat ever made. (Email me if you want a step-by-step picture tutorial.) Upon seeing my work, Anna requested one for Little Kitty.


Then we went all out and wrapped up a fabric softener box and broke out some celebratory carrot sticks. And for cake, a leftover dinner roll with some candles stuck in.

Then Isaac woke up from his nap. And, who can blame him, was really put out that there was no party hat for him. So he stole Anna's and she chased him and took it back. And then Isaac stole it again and Anna started to cry. And then I took it because I'm mean and said no one could have it. Then they both cried.

It was sad. But secretly I was kind of happy because if my kids are fighting over the crappiest party hat ever made, then I guess I don't need to set my standards too high to make them happy. I'll just keep the construction paper and staples stocked.


6 comments:

**the muirs** said...

Rachel, I think you're my hero! :)

Kirsta 'n co. said...

Can IIIIIIII have a party hat, too?!?!? PLEEEEEEEEEZ??!?

I think you give your party less credit than it deserves. At least you had a dinner roll and carrots! And candles! I didn't even have candles for my neices party, I am a slacker. Hats was an excellent touch, in spite of your jest (tutorial, please?) - just add a couple crepe paper streamers and you've got yourself a princess headpeice.

The Sherman's said...

Wow Rachel! Sounds like life has been crazy and busy and still full of all the fun moments like throwing "kitty" a birthday party. You are such a good mom. Anna and Issac are getting so big. We miss you guys. Did Jeff tell you he and Nate talked? We should find some middle ground and meet. It would be so fun!

Kathy said...

Man that was the best laugh I've had all week. Thanks for keeping it real! Such a relateable story. That is my life in a nutshell. If you make a hat for Kirsta I'm totally going to steal it and make her cry.

Steph H said...

You're so much fun. I love your blog.

Jeff & Liberty said...

That's the best.