
As most of you probably know, the Democratic National Convention has decesended on Denver. With that has come tons of media, politicians, protesters, and crazies. We live about 15 min north of the metro area, so our DNC experience has been mostly via local news and the Denver Post. I've thouroghly enjoyed all the hoopla. It's been really fun to be so close to such a huge political party. YHere are some of what I consider high points (or low depending on how you look at it) to the convention thus far:
-Seeing the joy in many local artisans eyes as they are finally making some sales on their Western art including many moon howling wolves and jewlery that incorporates turqouise.
-Reading about Carmelo Anthony's (of the Denver Nuggets) local restaurant choice for visiting DNC tourists, P.F. Changs. Really, if you're going to visit Denver, you really shouldn't miss it, because who knows when you'll have another chance.
-Watching several democrats weeping after Hilary's speech.
-Watching a news cast with protester signs in the background. My favorites:
"Barak Obama is Muslim." Really? I'm pretty sure he cleared that one up. Besides, what difference would it make?
"I traveled a thousand miles and all I got was pepper spray."
And my personal favorite, "Bring back Crystal Pepsi."
You will also be interested in these random facts:
-There are is one law enforcement officer on the streets of Denver for every five delegates. There are also snipers locaded in several high rises around the Pepsi Center. A little creepy, says me.
-There are political parades and marches for various causes and groups everyday through the streets of Denver.
-The Denver Zoo is free to the public during the convention, which is code for "All homeless people, please relocate for the next five days."
-Rage Against the Machine reunited and is playing a free concert at Red Rocks. Tickets were handed out in a lottery style event. I'm still not sure if they are raging against the convention, or republicans, either way seems like sort of an oxymoron for them to perform.
-Visiting politicians are not allowed to accept gifts of over $50 and cannot attend any sit-down dinners. So there are A LOT of cocktail parties being hosted all over.
Can't wait for Obama's speech at Invesco Field (Bronco's stadium). The man gives a good speech. Hopefully I'll make it downtown at least once to experience some the event first hand. First, I'll have to gear up my hugely pregnant behind. It might prove to be too much work...

Someone please tell me where I can get this look!
5 comments:
Lol..I thoroughly enjoyed this post :) Although, I must say, it freaked me out at first when the headline said "DNC"....I was thinking along the lines of babies so I was glad to read on and find it meant something entirely different!
yeah... what ever happened to crystal pepsi?!
sounds like fun. wish i was there!
love your post! Enjoy the insanity. I wish I was more politically savvy so maybe I would know what was going on...or maybe I'll just enjoy my ignorance. Watch out for the snipers!
Thanks for the post. You're cool.
So funny. If you figure out where to get that last look, pick me up one too.
Post a Comment