Thursday, February 21, 2008

MCV Ball

Every year the Medical College of Virginia holds a Winter Ball. Jeff humored me by purchasing tickets this year. He's not much for dancing and none of his classmates went, so it really for my benefit that we ended up going. We did have a bunch of dental and medical students from our ward going and it was fun to hang out with all of them.

The ball ended up being kind of a funny, but fun experience.

First, it felt a little strange to get all gussed-up for a dance. It felt like a major throw back to high school. (Except for the drunk girls dancing with the DJ.) So weird to go to church and have conversations revolve around if you'd found a dress yet. Fun though too. I went dress shopping with some girlfriends and out to dinner a couple of weeks ago and had a blast.

Second, I'm not so comfortable with the artform of applying make-up. You probably noticed my freaky-eye make up in the pics. My friend Christen and I were going to go to the mall before the dance and get "over-the-counter makeovers" at the mall. You know what I'm talking about, right? The ladies at the counters who do random make-up jobs on people that walk through mall. Anyway, that plan fell through when we found out there was a $50 purchase required. So lame. So, I decided to invest in some five dollar Walmart make up and attempt to do something myself. Hence, freaky-eye makeup girl. I found some you-tube instructions on how to do the so-called "smoky eye." (Try for yourself here.) When I finished my attempt I came down and Jeff said, "Oh. That looks different." I think he was just surprised, but not exactly the response I was hoping for.

Third, I've never had an excuse to buy gold shoes. When will I wear them again? Possibly never. Anna likes to walk around in them, though, so I guess I can justify that it was money well spent.

Me, Christen, and Lissa

Loving the chocolate fountain


Sarah, Christen, Me, Jana, Sara, Marci, and Heather. So funny we all ended up in black.

Gold shoes and a double-breasted suit.

10 comments:

Jenn and Brandon said...

How fun! You guys look so cute! I think that sounds like a fun idea. . .I would love to get dressed up like that again.

Dan and Michelle said...

It's America's Next Top Model - Rach you look hot!

Christen said...

I love all of your pictures, except maybe the one of me with my mouth wide open for all to see my BROWN teeth! hehe I had a lot of fun with you that night - thanks for being my dancing partner! :)

Brandon said...

that does sound like a lot of fun to go the ball....but this post is for jeff, i have officially started my fly tying class. When we meet up half way at some great river to catch some great fish maybe it will be with a sweet homemade fly. (As of right now we can't catch anything with what I am tying)

Nicole said...

I think that you look sooooooo pretty! seriously your make-up looks great!!! And I love the gold shoes...

Cook Family said...

Actually the first picture I saw before I read your post, I thought to myself wow Rach looks great! I love the smokey eyes and I'm loving your hair did you straighten it?

jen&boys said...

I agree with everyone else... Rach you looked GORGEOUS! Oh Jeff... Nice compliment! Sounds like a really fun/funny night. What a fabulous looking couple.

wishesUT said...

Looks like fun! I have to say Rachel that you are one of the few people that I know who look completely beautiful without makeup! How nice to have an occassion to get dressed up for.

Sara said...

Ok, I was actually going to email you last Friday after the dance and tell you how cute I thought you looked! I noticed and loved the smokey eyes! Great job!!!

Nicole said...

I'm with everyone else. You are drop dead gorgeous. You are beautiful in every picture I have ever seen of you and these are no exception. Everyone has to try smokey eyes at some point and they suit you well.