The bi-annual Black Family Reunion was held in San Diego this year. It was fun to plan a big family road trip to get there. We've never really done that before. There were some really fun things about it and some...less fun things about it.
One of the more fun (funner?) things we did was on the first leg of the drive. We stopped at my alma mater, Southern Utah University. I have not been on campus since I graduated nearly twelve years ago. (How is that even possible?!)
Jeff also attended SUU one semester before his mission and one after, so the nostalgia was flowing heavy.
The first stop was the Sharwan Smith Student Center. I wanted to stop by the bookstore and get some new apparel, but it was closed. (We did end up stoping back on our way home and picking up a few things.)
Here's Ben, ever in charge, showing us the place.
We stopped by this commons area where I used to eat lunch and study regularly. I worked in the admissions office in this building. Also, love love love the red rocks of Southern Utah.
The library. I also had a job here. It was closed as well. Anna was disappointed. She loves a good library.
This is the new clock tower. It wasn't yet built while I was attending, but what a great addition to the campus. I didn't get a picture of the new education building that is adjacent to it, but it's great as well.
Upper quad.
Old Main. This was the main education building when I was on campus and I had A LOT of classes here. The building is over one hundred years old.
One of the gorgeous red rocks so common to the area.
I think I took one business class in all my time at SUU, but Isaac wanted his picture here so, there you go.
It seemed to me that everywhere we turned some memory would take hold of me. The hundreds of times I walked from lower campus to upper campus. Writing papers in the ELC (Electronic Learning Center, aka computer lab). Giving tour after tour of campus as a part of my duties as a Student Ambassador. Writing letters to Jeff all over campus while he was on his mission. Playing night games on the quads. Going to gymnastic meets. Meeting friends for lunch in the student center. Going from one job, to classes, to another job and then back to the library to study until late at night. So many great and hard times.
I loved my years in college. I hope the kids caught a little bit of that fire while we hiked around. One day when they are ready to go off into the world, I really hope that they find a little corner that nurtures their education and gives them a place to grow into the person they want to become. SUU was definitely that for me.







No comments:
Post a Comment