After presenting Dad with a GPS and Atlas (for all the future travels), we headed back to Mom and Dad's house for dinner and to watch a surprise video. Each of us kids made a little video expressing thanks and remembrances from dad's career. It was great for those who couldn't make it to contribute. Also on the video was a slide show of projects and jobs that dad completed over the last 35 years or so years of work.
Dad with me and Josh.
To summarize a little of what I said in the video, I am really honored to be the daughter of such a hard worker. Dad always provided for our very large family. We never went without. But even more importantly, dad was a wonderful father. And while he always work many long hours, I never felt that he was unavailable for anything I needed. It has been from dad (and mom!) that I have learned to work hard, be thorough, value education, be efficient and have integrity.
I'm so happy for my dad and I hope he has many happy days full of relaxation and contentment and even work. (He would never be happy without some form of it.)
For my own records, Jeff's sentiments from the video:
For my own records, Jeff's sentiments from the video:
As I begin my career with my eyes focused on the horizon and a future full of possibility, it is hard for me to imagine what it must be like to be at the end. For the first time in your life there is no more looking ahead, no more speculating about your future career plans, no more strategic planning, no more budgeting, no more bidding for jobs, no more partnership meetings, no more. It must be incredibly satisfying to be looking in the rear view mirror at a lifetime full of hard work and accomplishment, and yours is definitely a life full of hard work. If ever a man knew what it meant to work hard, it is you, Dave. When I met you more than yen years ago, I knew right away that you were a man about his business. You have always approached every aspect of your life, whether it is personal or professional, with a remarkable level of focus and determination. As every member of this family can attest, no man can wash a batch of dishes, mow a lawn, shovel a sidewalk, rake a ridiculously large load of leaves, or put away a never-ending supply of Christmas decorations with more speed and efficiency than you. To watch you slam through a Thanksgiving-sized load of dishes is truly a sight to behold.
I know through countless conversations we have had together, that you have put your heart and soul into your work. What satisfaction you must be feeling knowing that you have given it your all. Many people speak of their careers and the success they have achieved with a sense of surprise. They act as if their success was a mistake saying things like “if you were to ask me 30 years ago if I imagined myself doing what I am doing today, I would have laughed.” That kind of talk and nonchalance has never sat very well with me. While I acknowledge that there are people out there who have achieved great professional success without planning and preparation, I believe the majority of successful people do significant amount of planning and spend years in preparation. They obtain an education, work very hard, and make significant sacrifices. So to hear you talk about your career, the extensive planning which was involved and the calculated decisions which were made, and how all of it led to your ultimate goal is both inspiring and encouraging to me as an aspiring professional. Your success did not happen by surprise or accident; it was deliberately planned and executed. As you finished your graduate studies you knew what you wanted to accomplish, you planned your work and worked you plan, not stopping until you had arrived. You did what you set out to do from the beginning. By taking various positions with several companies in multiple states, you learned the construction business. You stepped up when no one else would; never shying away from any challenge. Eventually the hard work and persistence paid off and the right opportunity presented itself. You had made it! Finally, you were leading your own organization as an owner and Vice President. Of course, in many ways the challenge had just began, but you had made it, you had achieved your goal! A wise professor once told me that “success happens when hard work and preparation meet opportunity.” This philosophy could certainly be applied to you and the story.
Dave, I have always had the utmost respect and admiration for you as a professional and, more importantly, as an individual. It would be impossible to quantify how much you have sacrificed for the betterment of your family. You are an incredible husband, father, father-in-law, grandfather and friend. On a very personal note, I so appreciate all of the time you have spent with me, sometimes in wee hours of the night, giving counsel and advice. I am so grateful for your love and example. Congratulations on your retirement, Dave!
1 comment:
What sweet words and what a great moment for your dad. How wonderful to have such a leader and example in your family. Congrats to him!
Post a Comment