Saturday, January 24, 2009

Serve Me Up Some Perspective

I'm now a couple of weeks removed from Anna's croup ordeal and I've found some perspective in reflection. Let's just say that my attitudes concerning my current domesticity haven't been the most positive the last couple of months. This major kick in the rear has helped me realize a few things:

First, I have a new found respect for single parents. The few hours I was without a spouse were the hardest of the whole ordeal. When Jeff arrived from Denver the emotional weight and worry were immediately lightened. He stayed with Anna at night, sleeping on the awful hospital chair-bed, allowing me to be with Isaac at night. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this whole parenting thing. Hats off to all you single parents who bear the weight on your own.

Second, I'm grateful I stay home with my kids. I don't know that I could confidently say this before last week. It probably would have been more like, I'm glad I can stay home with my kids because I know it's the right thing to do. It was so difficult to be away from Isaac during the day. He couldn't stay with me because Anna was so contagious. My dear mother-in-law and mother bravely forced him to bottle feed so I wouldn't have to drive back and forth every couple of hours. I missed him terribly. I felt like I was short changing both kids. I couldn't give Anna my full attention because I knew Isaac needed to eat, and when I was feeding him I wished I could be at Anna's bedside. Again, so grateful for Jeff.

Finally, tantrums and messes aren't so bad when compared to some alternatives. I missed Anna's spunky, albeit defiant, personality. She couldn't speak and barely had the energy to even communicate at all. Talk about heartbreaking. I think this is the lesson I need remember most. I need to appreciate my two-almost-three year old completely. The messes, tantrums, giggles, crying (who could have guessed I'd miss a cry!). All of it.

It's always easier to be grateful in hindsight of trials and this is no different. Thank goodness it was a relatively quick and dirty experience. I'm glad to be on the other side of this one.



My cup runneth over with appreciation for all our family and friends who prayed and fasted for our family. Thank you, thank you for your concern. Anna is pretty much back to herself. She's finished with all her medications and no longer needs her "cool mist" (nebulizer). Her voice is still a little scratchy, especially when she gets excited or upset. In a couple of weeks we will meet with a Ears, Nose, and Throat Doctor to get Anna's throat sized. This will determine whether or not there was a particular reason Anna's croup was so severe, such as throat polyps or a small wind pipe. Here's hoping it was just a flukey thing.


Pictures: 1) Anna being admitted a second time. 2) Going to the shower room to bathe. 3) Right before the first discharge 4) Right before the second discharge. The last two days Anna had sgebity for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

7 comments:

Kirin said...

I wish i could give you a hug
what a beautiful post, yay for her being such a trooper and you guys getting through it :)

missy. said...

i'm so glad she's feeling better, rach.

Steph H said...

Wow, what a huge ordeal. I'm so sorry you guys all had to go through that. I'm impressed with the lessons you've been able to identify. That is constantly my goal even though sometimes I really suck at it. I keep trying to picture myself as clay and that God is sculpting me to be something brilliant. Of course it's going to hurt a little when he's poking and prodding, but hopefully the end result will be a masterpiece. I just have to remember not to get mad at the poking in the meantime. Sounds like you're already there.

jen&boys said...

Lessons we all need to remember! Glad that is behind you guys!

jillpill said...

Rachel, my heart goes out to you! It is the hardest thing in the world to have a child in the hospital. The helplessness is overwhelming! The perspective we receive as parents is wonderful after it is received...during is pretty dang miserable. I'm so happy you are all doing better. May the rest of this cold and flu season pass you by without giving any more "gifts"!

Trent and Brooke Starr said...

I am so glad she is better...You are the best Ramie. Thanks for helping me to get some perspective without having to brave what you did! Love you guys!

Jeanette said...

I haven't stalked your blog in awhile and so I had no idea this was going on!! I saw you guys at church today and had no idea that Anna had recently been so sick! I am glad that everything is ok!